Thursday, August 14, 2014

Breaking Up is Hard to Do


I was going to post a blog filled with literary jargon and resources on the 2011 Massachusetts Frameworks (don’t worry, that blog will be posted soon!) this week. However, this morning I watched a video and instantly felt the need to share this video featured on the Teaching Channel. The video takes us into a 9/10th grade history lesson where the class objective was to connect the Declaration of Independence to the American Identity. There are many aspects of this lesson that stood out to me. The first was the emphasis of the “hook”. I spoke about this last week using pictures of the recent Drake album. However, this week Jason David and Emma Katznelson caught my, and the classes attention by reading a break up note at the beginning of class. The note was filled with personal details about how the person “needed space” and was ready to “be on their own”. Kids were captivated, embarrassed and on the edge of their seat, only to laugh when they realized who the letter was written by.


Another part of this video worth noting was the different roles the students took on throughout the lesson. Students participated in conversations with one another, they spent time journaling and reflecting on the essential question presented and shared out their responses with the class. As we head into a new school year, I am inspired by this video and the creativity which teachers encompass to provide an active educational classroom environment where students feel comfortable taking an active role in their learning. I hope that you take a few minutes and enjoy this video as much as I have.


* Just for clarification, the picture at the top is a note I once found (and hung onto) from my time teaching 3rd grade. I always appreciated the politeness of this one student. 

No comments:

Post a Comment